Protecting And Preserving What Matters Most: Family

I need to Relocate for My Job. How Does That Effect My Visitation Time?

On Behalf of | Sep 19, 2022 | Family Law

It is difficult when you need to move to a different city or state in order to maintain or increase your position with your company. That transition is especially difficult if you have children you are leaving behind. If you have an established visitation schedule, that schedule will certainly need to be altered to accommodate your new move. Unfortunately, there are many former spouses who choose not to be so flexible in changing the visitation schedule.

Before you approach your former spouse about changing the visitation schedule, it is a good idea to consult an attorney first. The last thing you want to do is upset the ex-spouse, and the attorney may be able to suggest alternative ways to approach the situation so that not as many feathers are ruffled. In addition, whether you think you are going to have an issue with your ex-spouse or not, it is a good idea to know what your rights are in this situation.

If you have a good relationship with your ex-spouse, you should still change the visitation schedule through the court system. Although going to court is usually the last thing that anyone wants to do, you should not rely on the good graces of your amicable relationship. You never know when something might happen that could cause a problem in your otherwise good rapport. If the new visitation schedule is just an agreement between the two of you and has not been established through the courts, there is no legal authority to enforce the new schedule should something bad happen. It is better to make the new schedule official so that it cannot be manipulated without some kind of repercussion.

Before meeting with your attorney, you will need to get a copy of your divorce decree and original visitation agreement. You will also want to create a schedule of visitation that you would like to have and would work well with your job. The attorney can advise you as to whether or not the schedule would be acceptable to the court. If the proposed schedule will not work, the attorney will offer solutions that might be more pleasing to the court and the ex-spouse.

Do not take a chance on losing priceless time with your children when you move. Call the law office of Gary J. Natale, P.C. today at 973-324-9711 to schedule a consultation or contact them online.