Near Flandreau, South Dakota, a Sheriff was broadsided on the side of the road while support for a tow truck pulling another vehicle out of a ditch. While Sheriff Troy Wellman was stopped near the Big Sioux River Bridge, another vehicle traveling over the bridge lost control, and hit Wellman’s car like a T-bone.
After hitting the driver’s side rear tire, the driver and her car slid and spun all the way down the driver’s side of the Sherriff’s vehicle. Fortunately, Wellman only suffered minor injuries but wants to remind drivers to slow down and drive more carefully in the winter months to prevent unnecessary car crashes.
Winter Driving Hazards
There are more reasons besides the weather that cause driving to be more dangerous in the winter months. Snow, sleet and blizzards are certainly a concern as they cause road conditions to be poor for drivers. With the holidays come parties, and traveling across state lines to visit families, which increases the number of travelers especially on the days closest to the holidays.
Along with the celebrations come increased alcohol consumption and late night or early morning driving. All of these increase driver impairment, which can be a recipe for disaster.
Winter Driving Tips
The AAA organization offers several tips for driving more safely in winter months. Some of these include:
- Watch weather reports prior to traveling in isolated areas.
- Try to keep at least a half of a tank of gas in your car always.
- Be sure your tail pipe isn’t clogged with snow or ice.
- Make sure your tires are the proper kind for the driving you’re doing, that they are in good condition and aired properly.
- Don’t use cruise control while traveling on slippery surfaces.
- Always wear your safety belt.
- Drive slowly in the snow.
- When in snow or icy conditions, accelerate and decelerate slowly to avoid losing control.
New Jersey Car Accident Attorneys
At Natale Law, we know all the ins and outs of automobile accidents. If you have been involved in a car accident, call 973-324-9711 or contact our experienced personal injury lawyers for a consultation today.